Communication design is a professional discipline that encompasses designing of appropriate messaging or information and conveying it to the target audience through utilization of various media vehicles such as print, electronic and digital. It involves market research to understand the consumer behaviour and gain insights so as to facilitate a communication that not only build brands but also has a favourable impact on the masses resulting in sales. Communication Design plays an integral role in fields such as digital & print media, photography, game design, film making, animation, motion graphics, interaction design, 3D artists etc. Understanding of varied technical skills like colour theory, typography and page layout along with application of animation, graphic designing and multimedia tools etc. also forms a part of Communication Design.
The basic eligibility criterion for enrolling in Communication Design is as follows:
- The prospective candidate must have cleared his 10+2 or equivalent qualification from a recognized educational board in any stream.
- The eligible candidates will be required to clear the relevant entrance exams. Basis the cutoff, they will have to appear in a group discussion round along with personal interview round. Candidates clearing all the levels will be allowed admission in the course.
Skills for Communication design course:
Following are the essential skills:
- Communication & Networking skills so as to collaborate with different teams from various departments, vendors as well as stakeholders
- Passion to work hard and deliver apt product with attention to detail
- Excellent Artistic Visualization skills along with aesthetic sensibilities so as to come up with unique concepts
- Adept in Computer skills with an understanding of various softwares and tools
- Capable to work under pressure so as to meet deadlines.
Communication Design Courses
For a lucrative career, candidates must select that college which offers the following:
- The curriculum must offer competencies to students so that they are able to apply principles of design to a range of communication challenges.
- The course must facilitate an understanding of people, their preferences and their socio cultural situations so that the students are able to device apt strategies to develop appropriate communication products.
- The curriculum must equip students with proficiencies in typography, graphics, and digital media, information design, branding, motion graphics, type design, editorial & publication, advertising and mobile app design etc.
- The program must offer professional degree and/or diploma that is recognised at national as well as international level
- The curriculum must offer exposure through comprehensive internship and placement programs along with regular interaction with experts.
- The curriculum offers exposure and understanding of various industries like gaming, advertising, Web/mobile app designing, pre & post production in entertainment industry etc., thereby preparing students to be employed in multiple sectors
- The program must offer competencies in technical knowledge, use of softwares and tools besides facilitating development of work portfolios.
- Participation in competitions and handling of live projects will make sure that students are job ready by the time they complete their course.
- The college must ensure supplementary career support so that the students are better equipped in professional life.